Wednesday, June 21, 2017

WIP Wednesday - Commissioned Quilt

It's been a busy spring as I have been working on three commissioned quilts.  Unfortunately, I have been working on all three at the same time, and they had specific (and not possible to change) deadlines.  Two quilts have been shipped to Manitoba and are currently making the journey to their final destination in South Africa.  Once they are received, I'll be able to share next week.

I'm currently working on the third and final quilt, which must be completed by July 10.  The colours were chosen to match a family tartan -- I can't share any more as the quilt will be a gift, and I don't know who may be reading this.

I used three Kona:  Juniper, Curry, and Grellow.  Here is the star block.

9.25 inches square

This is the log cabin block.  I need to make another batch of these before I can begin piecing.

9.25 inches square

Thanks to Dena @ No Frickin' Blog Yet who helped with the math.  My customer found a pattern online, but there was not a pattern available for sale.  So I had to do a lot of math to figure out the log cabin and star blocks to give a similar effect and meet the requested quilt dimensions.  The blocks finish at a non-standard size, so Dena's math expertise was greatly appreciated.  This is the quilt which was found here.

www.amishcountrylanes.com


Linking up with:

Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts
WIP Wednesday @ The Needle and Thread Network
Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss @ The Inquiring Quilter




16 comments:

  1. How do you do it! Your current commission quilt is going to be quite striking. I love the colour combo! Looking forward to seeing your other quilts when you are able to share them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that last quilt will be interesting for sure! Not sure what the tartan is but there are some really *odd* colour combinations. Disclaimer: I'm married to someone with an ugly tartan 8(

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have been kept busy with commission quilts liking this one you are working on now and wait to see the other 2 once they have arrived at their homes

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be quite pretty! Look forward to seeing the other two, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt will be beautiful! Quilty math can be a pain, but glad you had someone that could help out. Sounds like you have been super busy, hope work has eased up some. Can't wait to see the other two quilts next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three commissioned quilts? Congratulations! I really like where this one is headed and I am sure you can get it done in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anja,
    That quilt is going to be stunning. I hope when you are able to share a picture of the completed top that you can also share the family tartan. Wow! I look forward to seeing it when you can share. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are busy, busy, busy! That will be one lovely quilt - be sure to share again on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much to do, but I'm sure they are all absolutely wonderful!! I'm really intrigued by the colors of this third quilt. I've used curry before, but that is not a color scheme I would have chosen myself. It is gorgeous, though, and knowing that it matches a tartan makes it all that more special. Your fabric choices are superb. So rich! I'm looking forward to seeing the final quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are off to a great start, Anja. I am sure it will make a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anja! Lovely colors! Classic blocks--too bad they worked out to be such an odd size. That kind of thing hurts my head! Good for you for finding the math help you needed. What a good friend to have! Thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun to have quilt living in South Africa?! I love the design of the quilt and can't wait to see your version :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that Dena and her non-existent blog, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.