Friday, September 1, 2017

Friday Finish - One Quilt Becomes Two

I'll be teaching two classes this fall at my LQS.  The plus quilt is a repeat class, so I already had a sample.  But I didn't have a sample of the jelly roll race quilt.  I wanted to make the sample with strips I had in my stash, but I only had 27 strips of blue, and I didn't want to cut into any yardage.  In my mind, the math worked.  Note to self:  write math down -- don't do it in your head.   LOL  As I was about to do the last seam, I realized that I was going to up end up with a quilt approximately 34 x 72 inches.  Well, that's not going to work.  So I cut it in half, and voila, two baby quilts, 33 x 35 inches each.  It's not a perfect class sample, but I think it gives people an idea of the technique.


Organic wavy lines in grey thread.  Grey because it was threaded in the machine, with a full bobbin.  😊


A colourful backing, with an orange striped binding.


I follow this tutorial by Quilts + Colour.  I use 2.5-inch accent squares rather than a 2.5 x 4.5 inch rectangle.


The above photos were taken late this afternoon.  I finished quilting the other one tonight, but by 8:00 p.m., it was too dark for photos.  Basement photos are blah.  I'll have to take better photos tomorrow.

**Photos have been updated.


An all-over stipple with orange thread.  This one has orange minky fabric on the back.



I am not ready for summer to be over...lights are needed in the house by 7:30 p.m., and the temperature drops quite considerably in the evening.


If you have a finish this week, consider linking up with:

Thank Goodness It's Finish Friday @ Busy Hands Quilts
Finish It Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hand Quilts 
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation 


** Monday is All-You-Can Watch Day on Craftsy.  You can enjoy 1,200+ Craftsy classes for free all day Monday.  If you're not registered with Craftsy, do it now so you can enjoy classes on Monday.




12 comments:

  1. These are fun samples! And thanks for the heads up about Monday's All you can watch Craftsy! I've never watched one since I was uncertain whether there would be subtitles, so I look forward to checking some out! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. 34 x 72 inches = a coffin size!

    Totally jealous of your stipple skills. I can't do that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sweet quilts! Love your stippling too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sample quilts are lovely. Big enough that students get an idea of what they are doing but not so daunting that it scares them off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not ready for summer to be over yet, either. The samples are great and I hope that the classes are fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. jelly rolls are such fun and love the splash of orange you have added here

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cutest quilts! Mistakes are always welcome when you end up with 2 quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific idea to cut the odd-sized quilt in two! I still have yet to make a Jelly Roll race quilt, but maybe on the 16th....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I've never been drawn to making a jelly roll race quilt. I could have summer year round.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a jelly roll race type quilt that I am so unhappy with. I have been trying to think of how to make it better.....maybe cut it into 2 baby quilts and add a fun backing??? Hmmmm. Food for thought. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these! The pops of orange are perfect against all of the blue prints.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pops of orange really brighten up these quilts! I've never been a fan of the jelly roll race quilts, but with accent squares I like it much better. Good luck with your two classes. I'm not at all ready for summer to be over, either :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.