Thursday, June 11, 2020

TGIFF - Fly This Way

Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday is once again being hosted here on the east coast of Canada.  If you are new to TGIFF, this is an opportunity to share your finish from the week, either through a blog post or an Instagram photo.

If you would like to host TGIFF, there are lots of dates available for the remainder of 2020.  You can sign up here.

You may remember from a previous blog post that I took an EQ8 workshop at QuiltCon Austin.  I designed something simple to practice the techniques I learned and then actually make the design.

This piece finishes at 28 inches, using Kona Nightfall and Tangerine.  If you start at the top left-hand corner, the path follows the direction of each flying geese block.


This was another opportunity to practice big stitch hand quilting (which I also learned at QuiltCon Austin).  I tried a new-to-me perle cotton -- Presencia perle cotton size 12 #7567 Medium Orange Spice that I purchased from Mad About Patchwork.


My friend Dena thought it would be interesting to put a triangle in the binding.  I must stop consulting with her, but she always has great ideas.  😉  I could have added a triangle the full width of the binding, but then it wouldn't look like a triangle.  But how to add a tiny triangle????  I was intrigued, so I played around with some scraps.  Even after I thought I had it correct on the good binding, I still had to make an adjustment.  It worked!!


I don't have a specific plan for this quilt, but I'm thinking it may make an appearance on a wall in my house.


Another photo of the binding triangle because it's so darn cute.  😊



Now it's time to link up your blog post or Instagram photo showing your finish by using the linkup below.  Don't forget to visit a few blogs -- it's a great way to discover new quilters and to get some quilty inspiration.  Please include the TGIFF button or a link to the TGIFF blog in your blog post so your followers can also view all the great finishes.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter


Here are some other linky parties where you can share your finish:

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday @ Alycia Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation
Brag About Your Beauties @ From Bolt to Beauty
Friday Foto Fun @ Powered by Quilting 
UFO Busting @ Tish's Adventure in Wonderland


16 comments:

  1. Such a great QuiltCon quilt! The design, the orange (a color I rarely use), the big stitch quilting are all fabulous. Really, I love everything about it but Deana is right...that little triangle. She is obviously the troublemaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little triangle is a lovely touch. I like everything about this quilt! A great quiltcon memory and yes you should hang it on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Flying Geese! And I love the path your geese take, but then the end is a never ending circle!! It would drive me crazy being caught in that loop. LOL Great finish all around, but that binding triangle is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Anja, this might be my favorite quilt of yours so far! The colors are great, the big stitch quilting is lovely and that tiny triangle!!!! Wow, that was the perfect touch. I bet it was hard to get it placed just right. It deserves to be hung in a place of honor in your home. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was using Perle cotton new or just the color? Have you done enough hand quilting now to have any preferences? I love the feeling of finishing a quilt of my own design and hope you feel a bit of that, too. And the time you took to figure out the triangle in the binding was well spent; it's such a wonderful final detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute finishing detail, Anja. Congrats on another bold and bright finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything about this quilt is special. The fabrics, flying geese, and big stitch quilting are wonderful, but it's the tiny triangle in the binding that takes my breath away. I have used Presencia quilting weight (I think it was 50) and liked it, but wasn't aware they made perle cotton. Did you enjoy the big stitch quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got to KEEP hanging out with Dena! I love her idea, and I love that you did it and how it turned out, yep so darn cute! This is a fabulous quilt, Anja, and it certainly needs to be on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the little accent on the binding! It's a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt! LOVE the bright orange hand quilting on it - it just adds to the cool effect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really lovely Anja! Your hand stitches are really good and that triangle in the binding... Just the perfect finishing touch! I love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the little orange triangle in the binding, it really sets off the binding. Good advice! And I love the quilting

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew this was you even before I saw the name on NTT. Beautiful hand quilting Anja!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this one, Anja. I hadn't even noticed before that you can follow the path of the geese all around the quilt. That's a fun detail and the triangle in the binding is the perfect finish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you can follow the geese round the quilt and I love that triangle in the binding, perfect. Love the colour combination too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.