1. My favourite part of quilting is piecing the quilt. If I had the money, I'd leave the quilting to someone else.
2. I sew over pins. If I take the time and put them in correctly, no problem. Other days, I'm lazy, and I bend a pin...or two.
3. Although I love the convenience of basting spray, I will often pin a quilt. I find I get puckers in the backing when I use spray, no matter how much effort I put into smoothing.
4. I need a pattern. I'd love to be able to create something in my head, but I'm not there yet.
5. I never hand sew my binding. Machine binding all the way. Who has the time? Or the patience?
6. I. Hate. Paper. Piecing!
7. I have far too many UFO's/WIP's. See #1, and I always see something new I want to make. I need to stop looking at magazines and on the internet.
8. I pre-wash all my fabric. It's a chore, but I'd rather the fabric shrink at the beginning of the process rather than at the end. I don't like to wash a finished quilt -- I like the crisp look. The crinkled look makes it feel used.
9. I forget to change the needle in my machine. Thank goodness I break needles from running over pins (see #2) from time to time; otherwise, the needle would never get changed.
10. What is the big deal with Aurifil thread? I have recently tried Aurifil, and although it's a decent thread, it didn't impress me much. And since it costs a lot more than Gutermann, I won't be using it unless I can find it on sale. I use Gutermann thread because one of my LQS often has 50% off notions, so I stock up. I have also recently tried the Essential thread from Connecting Threads. I do like this thread, and at about $3 for 1,200 yards, we have a winner!!
What are your quilty secrets?