Wednesday, August 6, 2014

WIP...The Last of the Library Projects.

It's been a tad warm in the evenings for sewing (but I'm not complaining -- just commenting).  Combine the warm weather with my newly acquired hot flashes...it doesn't make for a pleasant sewing experience.  But it's time to get some sewing done!!

I finished the quilt top for my fourth and final The Library Project hosted by Adrienne over at Chezzetcook Modern Quilts.  I wanted to try the Broken Herringbone tutorial posted by Play Crafts.

Broken Herringbone

I've been attempting to try new things to get out of my comfort zone.  I'm glad I tried this block, but it's not for me.  I didn't enjoy making it, and there is a lot of wasted fabric.  The horror!!  Now I have to find something to do with the scraps.  The tutorial was great in that the instructions were very detailed and clear, with lots of photos.

I was so very much done at six blocks.  The Squares (one of my quilt bees is called Q-Squared) had to convince me to make three more blocks so that I could actually make something useable.  It finishes about 40-inches square.

The purples in the photo don't show very well, but I guess that's the price of taking photos in the house.  One of the (many) downfalls of working full-time is that by the time I get any sewing done in the evening, it's too dark outside to take photos.

I've been hesitant to try improv piecing as I'm a girl that needs a pattern.  But I liked a block posted by Jenn over at A Quarter Inch from the Edge, so I decided to give it a try.  I did 8-inch blocks as indicated in the tutorial by The Undercover Crafter.

Shattered Glass Block

I did enjoy making these blocks, although it was difficult not to try to line up all the strips.  I did attempt to line them up in a few blocks...couldn't resist the temptation.

Now the dilemma...how to quilt???  Any suggestions?

Now that I have a collection of quilt tops, it's time to get focused and get them all sandwiched and quilted.  And then come up with some names for them.

Since it's Wednesday, I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you stuck to it and made three more blocks... it looks really good! And as for the quilting on the shattered glass blocks, wouldn't it be cool to to a small FMQ pattern in all the white? It would really make the coloured strips pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos for improvising. I had the same idea as jenn for quilting: FMQ the white parts only. Does not need to be fancy (though it can). A simple meandering would do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.