Friday, February 4, 2022

TGIFF - Quilt for the Invictus Games 2022

I was asked by a Canadian veteran to make a quilt, based on a design he created, to take with him when he participates at the Invictus Games in the Netherlands this April.  I was both honoured and nervous to attempt the quilt, but I am pleased with the result.  Thanks to my quilting friend and quilt consultant, Dena, for her help with the math and cutting the two triangle halves.


I designed the quilt based on this photo from Darrell.  He created his design out of wood.



The design is a combination of the Canadian flag, and the flag of the Netherlands.


Darrell will be participating in archery and wheelchair basketball.


The tulip is a symbol of the games.  I appliqued the maple leaf and the tulip using the Crafted Applique method.


I did an all-over stipple, matching the thread colours.  The quilt measures 60 x 72 inches.


I also made two matching pillow cases (one blue and one red).  The Canada print is on the back of the quilt.


I had a small window to take photos.  The white specks on the blue fabric is snow, not lint, because it had to start snowing while I was taking photos.


Darrell gifted me with an Invictus Games hat and coin.


I wish Darrell all the best at the Invictus Games.  My thanks to Darrell and other veterans for their service.

I'm linking up with:

Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday @ Slice of Pi Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday @ Alycia Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation
Brag About Your Beauties @ From Bolt to Beauty
Friday Foto Fun @ Powered by Quilting 

10 comments:

  1. Truly an amazing honour to be asked to do this and you did Darrell’s design justice. Well done, Anja 👏👏👏👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is totally awesome, Anja!!! You did a great job! And all the best to Darrell at the Invictus Games!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done!! You really did a fabulous job. How big is the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did great and what an honour for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific quilt, for both the designer and the creator. Best of luck to the competitor. I think the snow makes the quilt look extra good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a splendid job of recreating the design in fabric. It will be a stand out at the games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you did an amazing job, Anja. How big did the quilt finish? I love how you were able to modify his design. I hope he has a wonderful time at the games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fantastic!!! I think you nailed it!
    and how special for you to do this for him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one beautiful quilt for a great occasion. What an honor to be asked to do it and then to completely nail it! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love what you did Anja! It is just so wonderful, (and it's BIG!) and so true to Darrel's original design.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.