Thursday, June 29, 2017

TGIFF - Double Star Quilts

Welcome to Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday being hosted here again on the East Coast of Canada.



If you've been following me on Instagram these past few months, you would have seen the beginnings of these two quilts.  I was commissioned to make quilts for two adorable little girls in South Africa.  It was difficult to find just the right quilt pattern, but I finally found a photo over at Patchwork and Play.  So I sent an e-mail to find out more information, and Susan kindly provided me with some information on the quilt she designed.

Here is the purple quilt.  I these quilts.


Star and loop free motion quilting in purple variegated thread.


Because the girls are twin sisters, I put a green star (and small piece of green binding) in the purple quilt.



And here is the green quilt -- with a small purple star and piece of purple binding.


More star and loop free motion quilting with green variegated thread.


The quilts arrived in South Africa today.  I was holding breath hoping that they would love the quilts.

The quilts finish at 72 x 84 inches (12-inch blocks with a 6 x 7 block layout).


I under-estimated how much time it would take to cut the fabric and piece all the stars.  I cut it very close to my deadline.  But I had a lot of fun making these quilts, and I hope the girls will use them for many years to come.  Someday, I hope the meet the girls in person, but until then, I will watch them grow up through Instagram.


Now it's time for you to link up your finishes.  Link up your blog post showing off your finished project using the linkup below.  Don't forget to visit a few blogs to spread some quilty love and encouragement.  Please include a link and/or the TGIFF button in your blog post so your followers can also view all the great finishes.



Also consider linking up your finish with:

Finish It Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hand Quilts 
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation 


23 comments:

  1. Wow! You've done an amazing job of these quilts Anna! They are really beautiful! I'm so glad I was able to help you with your query and look forward to seeing more of your lovely work here and on IG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out amazing, Anja! They look large, how big did they finish? I really like that you added a bit of green / bit of purple to the opposite quilts. I'm so glad the quilts made it and I hope the girls love them for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The two quilts are gorgeous Anja - I love the star in the opposite colour! Such a fun detail. Great finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those quilts are fantastic! How creative to do them with the purple and green and just a small crossover in colors to tie them together. Thank you for sharing your pictures! --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These quilts both look great Anja! Perfect for some young girls. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! Love the pattern with the different sized stars, and they are in such bright, happy colors - well done! Thank you so much for sharing these on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful! I really love that you added the green and purple in each of them. What a lovely touch.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are gorgeous! I like how tied them together with the added green and purple to each one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw these on Instagram and absolutely love them! How many different shades of the focus color did you use on each? Does Susan have a pattern or did you just wing it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anja, these turned out even better than I envisioned when I saw the beginning of the project. They will look so good on beds in a shared room, or separately, of course. Don't you love when the quilts in a room are coordinated without be exact matches? This is the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These quilts are so lovely on so many different levels. The quilts themselves are beautiful, I have been watching them come together in instagram and loving their progress. I have a vested interest as the mother of twins. (that sounds like mother of dragons in Game of Thrones). The same but different is the way to go, and I love how you included a little of the other's fabric in the binding

    ReplyDelete
  12. You went the extra mile with these two quilts. Love the green star in the purple quilt and the purple one in the green quilt. The girls will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are beautiful. I love having the different colours in each.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my goodness, Anja! These are both stunners!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found your blog - love the quilts!!!!! Glad to see two color quilts come back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!!!! That's it....Wow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilts are fabulous! Love how you inserted a star in each quilt of the contrasting fabric. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Anja - I love these!! I love how you used the other color as a tiny pop in each. What a great gift set! I hope they adore them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute idea of switch hitting the stars on each girl's quilt! I've made one set of twin girl quilts this year which were nearly identical, and am in the middle of another set. As these are for soon-to-be twins, I've opted to make two very different quilts in the same fabrics. And I, too, am up against a deadline as I was the last set, and you were here. I think it's almost hard to estimate your timeline, and that these are two whole quilts, and will actually take double the time. It's wonderful to see your sparkly creations, Anja, and thanks for the inspiration to get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh Anja these are wonderful! How ever did you get them done on time? You must be a powerhouse quilter! Thanks so much for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are gorgeous! I like how tied them together with the added green and purple to each one.


    หีฟิต

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.