Wednesday, August 1, 2018

WIP Wednesday - Stellar Stars BOM

I'm slowly, very slowly, making my way through the Stellar Stars 2018 Block of the Month by Cristy @ Purple Daisies Quilting.

I forgot to show my third March block -- Shadow Blossom, which is a 6.5-inch block.  I had trouble adding seam allowance to turn under for the applique, so I drew my cutting lines.


A little extra work, but I had plenty to iron under the edges.


Machine applique went well, thanks to glue basting.  I didn't think I'd like glue basting, but I think it's my new favourite technique.


And voilà...a finished block.  The petals are not as round as they should be, but I'm happy with it.



Now on to the three April blocks.  First up was the Ohio Star, another 6.5-inch block.  Perfect seam and point matching thanks to glue basting.


And the other two April blocks are paper piecing. There are 16 Flying Geese sashing blocks.  I cut fabric for all the blocks, even though we only make two blocks per month.

These are two of the eight B sections (4.5 x 6.5 inches) that are sewn to the A sections (4.5 x 10.5 inches) to create the sashing blocks.


And we make eight more of the B sections in a different colour scheme.


I love the the Quilter's Newsprint by the Electric Quilt Company.  It's thinner than copy paper, but it's not as see through.  And it tears away a lot easier.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to finish up the rest of the April blocks more quickly now that I have all the fabric cut.


Linking up with:

Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts
WIP Wednesday @ The Needle and Thread Network
Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss @ The Inquiring Quilter

7 comments:

  1. Your blocks are perfect and beautiful! I signed up for that BOM, but never got it started. I love seeing everyone else's progress though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the block and petals look great. Glue basting can be such a big help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are making awesome progress with this one! Love that Shadow Blossom block. I also like to use the glue-stick method for machine applique--it's hard to get the points perfect at first, but with practice you'll find that it really works! Thanks for sharing this on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yellow and grey, perfect combo. Love your blocks. Your petals look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are looking amazing Anja! One of these days we need to get back our sampler...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! Love your colors, and your so keeping us in suspense over how these pieces will all go together

    ReplyDelete
  7. are you hand sewing? I like to epp, but in longer straight seams like ohio square, it can harder to keep the seams even

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.