Friday, June 14, 2019

TGIFF - Yonder Pillow

Did you follow the Yonder Quilt Along hosted by Briar Hill Designs?  There have been a lot of great finished quilts appearing on Instagram.

I was able to stay on top of things and finish my top by the deadline.  I shared my finished quilt top here.

As I made the baby size, there was an extra block.  So I decided to make a matching pillow.


It's an 18-inch pillow.  I keep making 18-inch pillows, but I only have 16-inch forms in my stash.  So I had to steal borrow one from another pillow.

I wanted to practice free motion quilting on my domestic Singer (which does not like free motion quilting).  I have discovered that it works best with Gutermann thread, so I've decided to stop experimenting and only use Gutermann thread.


I'm always hesitant because I want it to look nice.  But this time, I decided just to let go and let things unfold as I went along.  The thread matched too well in the green and orange sections, so it's hard to see.  I did loops in the green.  In the orange, I quilted a pinwheel with tiny wishbones inside the pinwheels.  I attempted feathers in the corners.  Some looked more like hearts, so I put a heart in the outer corner.


When I look closely at it, I'm not totally happy.  But in the big picture, I am pleased and glad that I just let myself play.


Now to decide on a quilting plan for the quilt.  Thankfully, it's only small (four blocks).


If you have a finish this week, consider linking up with:

Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday @ Kathleen McMusing
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict 
Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hands Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation
Brag About Your Beauties @ From Bolt to Beauty 
Friday Foto Fun @ Powered by Quilting


6 comments:

  1. Yay for using up orphan blocks to create something both beautiful and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pillow! Nice to see you just letting go and your quilting is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great way to use up an extra block and practice your FMQ skills too. I think you are a little hard on yourself, I wish I could FMQ as well as you do. You now have a lovely pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your FMQ is marvelous. It's a lovely finish.
    Did you hear of the 10 foot rule applying to quilting? I have to apply it to all my hand work....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anja this is all kinds of awesome-ness! I love Gütermann thread too, have used it for over 20 years. Love the colours and your quilting just knocks it out of the park.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.