Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Perfectly Pieced Quilt Backs Blog Hop

Have you seen the new book by Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation?  Perfectly Pieced Quilt Backs showcases some great ways to piece backings.  I used to piece my backings but then discovered wide backing.  I need to get back to piecing backs because I have enough yardage and because it's a great way to use up leftover fabric from projects.

I made a pieced back for my Turning Wheels quilt, which I realize I have never shared.  Oops.  I tested this pattern for Jen @ Patterns by Jen.


The book shows 30 ways to piece a backing, using either leftover fabric or yardage.  I used leftover fabric from piecing the top (including Kona Tangerine and Clementine) and a piece of teal fabric.


If the book wasn't great enough, there is a bonus -- 18 free patterns.  Free patterns!

I needed some free-motion quilting practice on my Baby Lock Accomplish so tried a few different motifs.


You can get Kelly's book at the usual places:

The quilting is more visible from the back.  I made the Coin Strip pattern.  It's a great way to add some interest and to increase the width of your back if you don't have enough fabric.


Visit the following bloggers to see what pieced back they made:



12 comments:

  1. Just four colors and an awesome quilt! Love the back too. Oh yes, I noticed the whimsical touch of color in the binding - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turning Wheels is beautiful - I love the orange and blue together! The coin strip design made a great backing for it. Love the pop of orange in the binding, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This back is a beauty, Anja! Thank you so much for helping me launch the book!

    :) Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really a pretty and simple back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coin strip looks like the perfect way to expand out a WOF for quilts just larger than that, and I love the quilting showing through on the backing, too. How big did your Turning Wheels quilt finish?

    ReplyDelete
  6. great backing and wonderful quilting!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you stayed true to the colors used on Turning Wheels! It just sings! Was the pop of color in the binding intentional? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the backs I am seeing from this book. I definitely need to add it to my list of must haves. Is the BLock new to you? The quilting looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a lovely quilt finish, Anja! A pieced back is a great way to use up scraps and stretch some too-small yardage. Can't WAIT to get my hands on Kelly's new book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful quilt, the two sides are gorgeous and luminous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The back is a perfect complement to the front piecing, and yes, a great way to add width to a backing and use up those leftover bits!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.