Saturday, October 19, 2019

Island Batik Ambassador Challenge - Top it Off

Note:  All products in this post were given to me by Island Batik as part of their Ambassador program.

The theme for the October Island Batik Ambassador challenge was Top it Off.  We were challenged to create a holiday runner or table topper using an applique technique.

After searching the internet for some inspiration, I decided on a spring/summer theme, rather than a specific holiday.





I used Lara Buccella's Crafted Applique method.  It's an awesome technique for raw edge applique.  I received some awesome prints in my July Ambassador box.  Thanks Island Batik!  Don't you just love this teal swirl.  I used fabrics from the Batik Foundations.


Matching Aurifil thread for the win.  I used all the colours:
  • #1148 Light Jade
  • #4659 Mango Mist
  • #2134 Spun Gold
  • #4225 Eggplant
  • #5001 Ocher Yellow
  • #3840 French Lilac


Since my design was fairly simple, I decided to practice my free-motion quilting.  Now that my Singer domestic has been serviced, free-motion quilting has become easier.  I didn't have a plan when I sat down to the machine.  I started out with flowers, but after two, I wasn't feeling it, so switched to swirls in the background.  I echoed both the inside and outside of each petal.


I used my favourite Hobbs Heirloom Premium 80/20 batting.  I love it so much, I may have ten...okay maybe twenty...or maybe more...packages stashed in my sewing room.  😊

The back is an awesome mermaid print from the Mermaid Cove collection.


I need to put some thought into a name for this table runner.  I don't work with batiks much, but I do know that I am now a converted Island Batik consumer.


This has been an interesting year of challenging myself to create new projects each month.  November's project is already done and ready for the blog hop (stay tuned for more details).  I have a plan for December and can't wait to start piecing.

Thanks to Island Batik, Hobbs Heirloom Premium 80/20 batting, Aurifil, and Accuquilt for the wonderful products.




9 comments:

  1. What a bright and cheerful project! It will be wonderful to cheer up the house at any time of year. I was wondering, do you find issues when free motion quilting on batiks? I often have problems with skipped stitches on batiks, no matter what needle size or thread combination that I try on my domestic machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bright happy colours, sure to brighten even the dullest day. Your FMQ looks great, I like the swirls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project!! your pillows in the top photo drew me in right away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really sunny runner., and your swirls are looking really great Anja.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I love the bright colors and really like the stitching you did inside the petals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you went to spring for this runner - great idea. It is so fun and cheerful and, yes, perfect to work on your quilting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful! Love all of the bright colors. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see that your FMQ skills are getting better with every project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.