Friday, February 17, 2023

Project Quilting 14.4 - A Novel Project

We are now over the halfway mark of Project Quilting Season 14, which is hosted by Kim @ Persimon Dreams and Trish @ Quilt Chicken.  The fourth theme is A Novel Project -- our project must be inspired by a book we've read.  Hmmm....what book and what do I make??

I knew I had a busy week, so I needed a quick and easy project.  The Yada Yada Prayer Group series of books by Neta Jackson were the first books to come to mind.  I thought maybe a prayer themed quilt.  While I was searching for inspiration, I found a tutorial by Shabby Fabrics for a pocket prayer quilt.

As I was reading the tutorial, I was contacted by a friend's daughter (we were in all in Girl Guides together) asking if I could officiate her wedding on short notice.  Her mother is on palliative care, and she wanted to ensure that her mother was present to see her get married (the wedding was originally scheduled for September).  I knew then that I had to make the pocket prayer quilts.   So it was my honour to officiate the wedding on Valentine's Day.  It was both a joyous and sad occasion.

I used a fabric printed with inspirational words for the front.  The hearts are about 4 inches x 5 inches.  I quilted a few diagonal straight lines.  Although the tutorial said to use a thin batting, next time I'll use something a bit thicker as the hearts are quite flimsy.


There is a pocket on the back in which you can slip in a piece of paper with a prayer.  I found some other tutorials, so I think I will try making some other styles.



Go well and Safely (Girl Guide song)
Go well and safely,
Go well and safely,
Go well and safely,
The Lord be ever with you.

Go well and safely, my friend.



I'm linking up with:

Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday @ Lovingly Lissa
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday @ Alycia Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation
Brag About Your Beauties @ From Bolt to Beauty
Friday Foto Fun @ Powered by Quilting 

10 comments:

  1. What a great story! And it’s fun to see that fabric used in a prayer pocket. I have some of that exact fabric. What a great idea to use up the pieces I have left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heartwarming, bittersweet story. Congratulations on being able to figure a fast way to meet the PQ14.4 challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet wedding favor for your friend's family! very thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice idea, I'm sure they will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you were able to be there to support your friend and her daughter. These prayer pockets were meant to be. Sending your friend and everyone who cares for her a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful you were able to officiate and that the wedding was held so your friend could be there. I am sure those prayer pockets will be so helpful to all of them in the coming days and weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The encouraging word fabric and the prayer hearts were an inspired project for a busy week, Anja! Sorry to hear that your friend is not doing well. It was so sweet of you to fit one more thing into your schedule - officiating at that wedding - I'm sure it made for such a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice that you were able to officiate at the wedding for your friend. I like the prayer pockets what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story!! It is so cool that you could officiate her wedding and make them all so happy. LOVE the prayer pockets! I think those are an amazing idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.