Friday, June 26, 2015

Double Finish Friday - South Africa Bound

It's a double Finish Friday!  Two baby quilts for my friends R and R in South Africa who just adopted twin girls.  Since I can't be there to have a snuggle, proxy snuggles through my quilts will have to do.

The black and white print and the two binding prints were the last of the fabric I purchased in Johannesburg in 2012 when I attended R and R's wedding.


Had to throw in some Kona:  Citrus, Kumquat, Kiwi, Water, Red, Tulip, and Mulberry.


Since I had limited fabric (and no ability to run to my LQS for more), I had to be creative in the layout.  In the end, there wasn't enough to put a border on the top and bottom.

You may remember my longarm woes from the weekend...these were the quilts that I was working on.  The quilts had to be in the mail to Winnipeg by Saturday 6:00 p.m., as R's mom was travelling to South Africa to see the new twins.  Apparently, there are considerable "lost" packages, and R said I shouldn't mail anything to them.  I was lucky that she was visiting and had room for my quilts.


I had been saving the rest of my Johannesburg fabric, with no real plan for it.  I so was happy to be able to use the fabric for quilts for two very special little girls.



Linking up with:

TGIFF @ Chezzetcook Modern Quilts

Finish it up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts


11 comments:

  1. These turned out beautifully, Anja. The solids let the South African print really shine! So glad you made your deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Kona names and colours you've used - seems so juicy and perfect for twin girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful use of the fabric from your trip. Love the colours framing the print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love these quilts, Anja! These are so cheerful, and will grow with their little owners. Great story behind the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome that you are using fabric you got at the couple's wedding for their new daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable! I like the borders just on the sides. It is a bit unexpected and yet seeing it this way, I can't quite imagine it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Anja! They are gorgeous! So glad you made your deadline and they are on their way to being enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my goodness, they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You seem to have a history of quilts needed in pairs! These turned out beautifully Anja! Thank you for lynking up with me for TIGFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lucky little girls-those quilts are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.