Monday, June 15, 2015

Monday Finish and 2015 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop

Monday Finish doesn't flow as well as Friday Finish, but this poor little quilt has been floating around my sewing room for far too long.  So it needs some special attention.  The Giant Starburst pattern is quick and easy to piece, but I wanted to quilt the arrows with straight lines, which involved marking the lines and a lot of turning of the quilt.

I was a Frixion pen convert for marking lines.  But, I just discovered that the pen marks have re-appeared on my own Giant Starburst.  You can only imagine the dismay, horror, and panic I felt.  I still haven't dealt with the issue because I'm afraid I can't fix it.  So the Frixion pen has been banned from my sewing room.  Time to find another method of marking.  If you have a great marking tool or suggestion, I'd love to hear about it.

So after some eye-balling (not a success) and marking with a quilter's pencil and a blue ink water pen, I finally finished.

Kona:  Torch, Deep Blue, Red, Lime, and Shadow

It will be delivered in the morning.

Still some decent light in the backyard at 7:30 p.m. as the sun goes down.  Love summer!!!

I hope little J likes it.  He picked the colours, and his bedroom has been painted in these colours.

Not much quilting in the centre, just some stitch-in-the-ditch.

As I previously mentioned, I joined the 2015 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop.  It's been great getting to know some great bloggers and to learn some helpful blog tips.  I belong to the Sew Fabulous Hive, and today is the first week of the blog hop.



I encourage you to stop by and visit all the great blogs.  My turn on the blog hop will be next Monday.  There are about 70 participants this year, so there is lots to see.  And there are giveaways.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a great week filled with lots of quilty fun.

16 comments:

  1. frixion pens are, unfortunately, the last thing you should use to mark a quilt. the ink doesn't actually disappear and the residue will discolour over time. the best thing to use is a clover water soluble pen. the ink will wash out. stay away from "air erase" marking pens as well, as they leave a residue also , which will yellow over time. i'm sorry you had to learn that lesson on such a beautiful quilt, but i'm sure the recipient will love it anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous quilt Anja! I love the colors, so bright and cheery. I'm so sorry about the misfortunate Frixion pen incident. I got a Clover Hera Marker after marking all the lines on my Hopscotch quilt and having them disappear overnight, argh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun quilt. Love the brights. I have had issues with Frixion pens on red and purple. They seem to bleach them out a little. I still use them on whites and in seam allowances. I look forward to reading your blog hop intro when it's your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome finish! What a great design. Your quilting is perfect. I love it! I got burned once with the Frixion pen so I don't use them much anymore. Marking is such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had issues with Frixion pens as well and will not use them anymore. I have been using water soluble blue pens and have had no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just purchased a Frixion pen, which will now be removed from the notions box. The quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt turned out beautifully!! Yeah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous colours - love the straight line - I can never get a good marking method so i use masking tape placed down using the ruler and then sewing with the foot up against the tape!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anja! this is a beautiful and graphic quilt - I love it! I found that Frixion takes the colro out of darker fabrics so only use them where they won't be seen.
    I know two wonderful quilters who have written posts with great advice on the best markers.
    One is your hive mate Sandra and here is her post: http://musingsofamenopausalmelon.blogspot.com/2014/05/markers-i-love.html
    And the other is Valerie, who quilts beautifully too:
    http://www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com/2015/02/marking-tools.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anja. I will have to take a look at the pens I use. It's been a fear of mine that would happen. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will make some notes from the comments in my notebook. Your quilt is breathtaking ....I have a new love of solids. Take care.
    Your hive mate,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been afraid of those pens! Thanks for sharing your experience with them. This quilt is just lovely! I really like how you quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this quilt! Great design! Yikes on the frixion pen, I think I may have to ban mine as well. I have been wanting to try a Hera Marker...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the graphic design. Stunning. I use chalk, it just brushes off and I find it great for straight line marking, though not great if you are drawing tight curves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning! I don't need to say anything more! haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anja, we're in the same hive! Beautiful quilt. What about using a hera marker they are supposed to be quite good. :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, Anja! Love the quilting you did on this quilt! I went through the same issue with the Frixion pen when it was cold. I haven't banned the pen but will no longer use it to mark anything that will be seen on a quilt. I usually use Clover Chalk markers. But I always test a small part before using it. I may look for a Hera marker since a few people have suggested it on your post. Thanks for sharing your finish :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.