Monday, June 25, 2018

Stash Statement Book Blog Hop - Catch a Falling Star

I'm sure you've heard by now that Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation has a great new book, Stash Statement.  I was surprised and honoured that Kelly asked me to be part of the blog hop to celebrate the release of her book.


The patterns in Stash Statement are about using fabric scraps, sewing them together in a structured improv process.

Catch a Falling Star is the pattern I choose to make.  Now I have to be honest...I didn't realize that the patterns were improv.  I am not a fan of improv and don't do it well.  It was quite a shock when I received the e-book and discovered it was improv.


My first attempt was chain piecing some scraps together and then trying to piece them together.  It didn't work out so well, but I ended up with my first block.


I struggled with making the improv slabs.  The instructions in the book are great, but I like structure and a pattern, and I find improv difficult.  I finally got into a bit of a rhythm, and the improv slabs came together quickly.


Before I knew the pattern was improv, I had decided to make a baby quilt.  What a relief...I don't think I would have had it in me to make enough improv slabs for a full size version.


I'm pleased with how it turned out.  I can do improv!


Stars and loops free motion quilting in blue thread.  It gives the quilt lots of texture.


If you're looking for a great way to use your scraps, you need to get Stash Statement.



Here are the rest of the stops on the blog hop:
                                                          
6/25- Catch a Falling Star  Cynthia @ Quilting is More Fun Than Housework 
                                                            
7/2- College Prep   Hilary @ by Hilary Jordan                 
                                Lori @ Crossquilt
                                                            
7/9- Take Flight (bonus digital pattern)  Kelli @ Seriously, I Think It Needs Stitches 
                                                                 Paula @ The Sassy Quilter





21 comments:

  1. Love the quilt. Great blues, need those for my QOV. I am enjoying all of the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your version Anja! Improv isn’t easy for me either, but I find Kelly’s approach to it somewhat structured and organized, if that makes sense. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too would struggle with improv. Yours turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute little baby quilt. Great job tackling a technique you don’t feel comfortable with. It gets easier with practice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome Anja. Good for you in sticking with the improv until it felt natural. The result is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It came together beautifully, Anja, and it's a huge testament about Kelly's method that you did find a rhythm with the improv piecing slabs. I love the bright blue and orange together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is beautiful, Anja! I know that improv isn't easy for you, and I'm glad that you were able to tackle it. As you know, that is the main goal of my book. I wanted to offer steps and structure with three different methods for the process for those who don't find it easy. Thank you again for participating in the blog hop!

    :) Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very pretty! Love your blue choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue and Orange. Maximum Contrast. LOVE!!! Your quilting is perfect. It seems like an effort in the beginning but be careful, Improv is addictive. Ask me how I have so many scrap vortex quilts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blue and orange looks so great together. You did a GREAT job with your improv quilt, Anja!

    ReplyDelete
  11. they may be improv blocks, but they really have your stamp on them. Sometimes improv is harder, its hard to let go of the structure

    ReplyDelete
  12. For someone who doesn't do improv, you did it SEW well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For the looks of the quilt it doesn't look like you struggled at all! You did a wonderful job and its a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! If you can do improv, maybe I could too!
    It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blue and orange forever! Well done trying out improv. Hope it's not your last time as your blocks look great. Have an excellent long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Nicole (above)! You can't go wrong with blue and orange. This baby quilt packs quite the punch with that high-contrast pair. Awesome!

    I was pleased to tackle an improv quilt from Kelly's book, too. The way I see it is that I won't be making tons of improv quilts, but her technique is a good skill to have in my quilty toolbox. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done, Anja! We are two peas in a pod! Every once in awhile I give it a try.....I think I’m too structured! I’m very impressed with your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the blue and orange! Great quilt, and love the free motion quilting!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Read Debbie's @aquilterstable blog post today! "The Root of Improvisation" She talks about a different type of improv from what you did on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Man oh man I love your quilt Anja! Don't know how I missed it! Doesn't look like you had any trouble with the improv (something I myself have trouble with, never have the right shape...) when you see the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.