Friday, June 15, 2018

TGIFF - Guild Executive Challenge

My guild, Maritime Modern Quilt Guild, hosts an Executive Challenge each year.  This year's theme was Modern Traditionalism.  Anyone wishing to participate choose a traditional block from a bag and then had to create something that was a minimum of 200 inches in circumference.

I picked the Churn Dash block.  I have far too many WIPs on the go so I didn't want to put too much effort into this challenge.  And I have far too many quilts in my house already without a home.  So I decided to enlarge the block.  My friend Dena @ No Frickin' Blog Yet suggested I turn the block on point.  Wow...what a difference that made -- it looks like a totally different block.


I decided to only use fabrics in my stash, so the background fabric is a bit wild.


A rotated photo so you can see the traditional orientation of the Churn Dash block.


I put a smaller Churn Dash block in the centre of the larger block.  I did a quick all-over stipple in pink thread for a quick finish.  You can see how wild the background fabric is.


And to make it a little more modern, I put minky on the back.



This is one of my FAL 2018 Q2 goals.


If you have a finish this week, consider sharing it at:


Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday @ Lisa in Port Hope
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hands Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation


11 comments:

  1. It's amazing how different Churn dash looks on point. Great finish Anja.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stash must be awesome, you chose beautiful fabrics! I love your version of the Churn Dash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun finish! I love the Churn Dash block and i think putting it on point was a really good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wild background fabric and turning the block on point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Putting it on point changes it completely! Since you have enough quilts at home already, do you have plans to gift this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate churn dash block EXCEPT when it's on point, so great job! I also love your background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally cool to put it on point!!! That background is wild but awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love the wild and crazy background. On point changed an old block to a new and improved one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is wild background fabric. It is like a Jackson Pollock painting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wild and wonderful! Love the look on point but all in all I prefer churn dash to be straight set. Thanks for linking to TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My #1 favourite block - what a difference the on-point setting makes! On behalf of the global hosts, thank you for linking up to the FAL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.