Monday, February 1, 2021

Stay at Home Round Robin - Round 3

I hope you are having fun sewing along for the Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR) hosted by Gail @ Quilting Gail?  If you haven't been sewing along, there's still time to join in.

I'm hosting Round 3 this week -- Flying Geese.


There are several ways to make flying geese blocks.  I like using my EZ Quilting Flying Geese ruler because there is no wasted fabric.  Dena suggested paper piecing the flying geese so I could make different sizes.  It sounded like a great idea, so out came the paper and pencil.


Things started out okay, but I made a mistake with the seam allowance on the first side.  And then repeated the same mistake for the second side.  And I struggled with angles, so there was some unstitching.  But I kept going and hoped for the best.

I used a random mix of Kona Morning Glory, Velvet, Purple, Regal, and Natural.

Once I added the left and right sides, I debated skipping the top and bottom.  I had my fill of paper piecing by this point.  I don't paper piece often because I don't like the process (although I do like the precision).  Clearly I forgot any skills I thought I had.

This piece now measures 27 inches.  There are four more rounds to make.


Each week, there will be a linky party hosted by the blogger who designed that week's round.

January 11 - Centre - Gail @ Quilting Gail

January 18 - Round 1 - Chris @ Chrisknitssews 

January 25 - Round 2 - Emily @ The Darling Dogwood

February 1 - Round 3 - Anja @ Anja Quilts 🠜 This is my round.

February 8 - Round 4 - Roseanne and Sue @ Home Sewn by Us

February 15 - Round 5 - Wendy @ Pieceful Thoughts of My Quilting Life

February 22 - Round 6 - Susan @ Quilt Fabrication

February 28 - Round 7 - Gail  @ Quilting Gail


It's time to link up your Round 3.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

15 comments:

  1. It is a perfect addition! Love the intensity of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your geese! I know you got tired of the process, but oh how nicely it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Fun idea to use the different sizes - such interest it gives the design. Sorry it gave you trouble but no one would know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the way your quilt is taking shape, and how well you think out of the box! Love the flying geese border (why didn't I think of paper piecing like this??). Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy you shared your process with making the flying geese like that. I really like the modern look of it. You have given me the courage to try that too and see what I come up with. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative geese Anja - they really keep with your modern theme

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these purples! Such fun to have different sized geese. I like the asymmetrical-ness of geese on two sides; I think it goes well with your overall quilt so far. I also don't particularly love the process of paper piecing, so solidarity on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your border. Thanks for showing the design details. I need to think on this one ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool idea - to use different sized flying geese!! They look great and add a lot of interest to this quilt!!!
    Love it!
    Happy Quilting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love flying geese borders. Yours is so awesome with the different colors and different sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You went above and beyond with these flying geese. Love what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your flying geese! A great idea to vary the size!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,

    I cant find the FLYING GEESE pATTERN: Please cAN YOU HELP ME? I cant do it by my own. Sorry for my bad english.
    Guilitta

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great flying geese, I love how there are several different aspect ratios.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SEW many different variations on a theme are linked-up. Who knew there were more than 20 ways to use Flying Geese in a quilt?! As usual, I'm running behind on this round and missed the link-up, Anja.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.