Thursday, April 7, 2016

Throwback Thursday - Spiral Bargello

It's time for Throwback Thursday hosted by Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge.  TBT is a chance to showcase quilts from the past.

I took Heather Stewart's Spiral Bargello workshop back in 2008, or 2009, or maybe it was  2010.  There's no date on the workshop handouts.  I did not finish the quilt until sometime in 2013 or 2014 -- I didn't put a label on the back.


There was a lot of prep work in advance of the workshop.  All 20 colours (five of each colour family) had to be sewn into strip sets.


During the workshop, the strips sets were cut into varying widths -- from 3/4 inch up to 2.5 inches.  Early in the day, I realized this project was not for me.  Hence the reason it took so many years for me to finish.



But I'm glad I pushed myself to get it finished.  It now hangs on the wall in the dining room.

Head over to Throwback Thursday to see more quilts from the past.



14 comments:

  1. Hurray for you finishing a project you weren't thrilled with. I have always been intrigued by bargello, but I've never really had the desire to try it myself. What's really interesting about yours is how your quilting adds another dimension to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! Like you though, I don't think I could make something like this. It looks so intricate and precise. I love that you have hung this in your dining room, such a lovely quilt and decoration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, BTDT! I sat through a whole day of a workshop thinking to myself what else I could be doing, sadly. My project was not one with a lot of prep, and it should be tossed. Yours, on the other hand, is quite beautiful! It's so difficult when we give something a try, but it doesn't speak to us. I've tried to change my thinking into, "I'll learn something I can use somewhere else." It sure is a lovely example of luminescence. You did very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you finished it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness, Anja! This is absolutely gorgeous! What an accomplishment and how bright and cheery it must look when you get home from work each night! Well done! The perfect share! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its beautiful - immediately has high visual impact - glad you finished it and are enjoying it now as wall art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning!!!! What an amazing finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The richness of the colour palette you chose is gorgeous, Anja. Especially set off by the dark border. This had to have been A LOT of work to finish. You should be proud! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fantastic! I'm so glad you finished it and have it on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing a bargello quilt was the spark that started me quilting but I have never made one. Yours is awesome! Fabulous colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you made this so I could know that it wasn't for me either! 3/4 inch cuts... yikes! Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I had no idea some of the cuts were so tiny... 3/4 of an inch? Well done for getting it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I'm now removing my chin from my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.