Wednesday, December 28, 2016

WIP Wednesday - Modern HST Sampler QAL

The Modern HST Sampler hosted by Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts started back in January.  One new block was released every two weeks, for a total of 24 blocks.  It's been quite the year -- learning various ways to make HST's.  Not a big surprise -- I hated the 2-inch HST's (finishing at 1.5 inches).



Here is Block #24 - Nip Tuck.  I used leftover HST's and scraps of fabric.


When I laid out the 24 blocks, I decided I needed another block to do a 5 blocks x 5 blocks layout.  I had very little of my background fabric left, so had to be creative.  I couldn't even scrape together enough background fabric to make another HST for the top right-hand corner.


And here are all 25 blocks pieced together.  I didn't want to introduce another fabric for sashing (I used fat quarters for the blocks), so I just tried to spread around the colours as best I could.


This QAL was a great learning experience.  I'm glad I played along.


I haven't been as productive as I had hoped this holiday week, but I have high hopes for the rest of the week.


Linking up with:

Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts
WIP Wednesday @ The Needle and Thread Network
Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication
Sew Cute Tuesday @ Young Texan Mama



12 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous. I still need to do the last block and then I can get it all together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your HST blocks sure have made themselves into a lovely quilt top, Anja! This is a great sampler quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt top finish! The blocks look great pieced together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to see all these blocks come together! And kudos for getting that last block pulled together with the last little bit of fabric. :) Any idea how you're going to quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The HST blocks make a fabulous quilt top. You did a great job of spreading around the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of the HST's! Thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you have these arranged. I have both of December's blocks to do. Still recouping from holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your choice for not adding a sashing. I also think you balanced out the colours beautifully. A great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came out great, Anja! You amaze me with all you accomplish! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great!! Thanks for sharing with SEw Cute Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt is a perfect example of why I do love HST's. There is just so much you can do with them. Congrats on your finish, Anja! It's been fun following along as you stitched up these blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been following the Modern HST posts, and it's so fun to see all these blocks together. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.