Saturday, January 7, 2023

Project Quilting 14.1 - The First One

It's time for Project Quilting -- hosted by Kim @ Persimon Dreams and Trish @ Quilt Chicken.

The first challenge began on January 1, with finishes due by noon on January 8.  The theme is:  The First One.

I decided to make a rail fence baby quilt.  The first quilt I made was a flannel rail fence for my nephew in 2003.  I used EQ8 software to design my quilt using one colour.  I had enough Kona Pacific, Astral, Paris Blue, and Cornflower to make a baby quilt, 32 x 40 inches.


I wasn't able to get good photos of the colours, but these two photos show the texture from the free motion quilting.  I used a bright striped print for the backing.


There were some leftover pieces from the strip sets, so I added some Kona Astral (and a small piece of Kona Orange) to make the binding.


I'm still learning the features of my new Babylock Accomplish.  I thought this project would be a good opportunity to test out the free motion quilting foot.  So this is my first project quilted on my Accomplish.


I used Hobbs Heirloom Premium 80/20 batting.  I attempted photos several hours later -- half of the snow had melted away.


I am happy with my first Project Quilting challenge.  The second challenge will be released on January 15.





7 comments:

  1. I love that you went back and used the same quilt pattern from your first quilt. The quilting looks great; I hope that you have a long and happy relationship with your Babylock Accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new machine, how exciting! Love your rail fence quilting and the yummy quilting texture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun....the first one repeated for PQ 14.1 on your new machine. Hope you are falling in love with it. Really like your interpretation and the idea of going back to your first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, what's not to love about all those gorgeous blues! And I love the pop of orange :-) I'd vaguely thought of recreating my first quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang!! That was a fast finish - I love it!! Blue is my favorite color ( after plaid) . Its gorgeous against the snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new machine, Anja! Kudos on making a baby quilt in a week. LOVE that bit of orange in the binding!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.