Saturday, July 18, 2015

Val's Kona Quilt

Val @ Purple Boots and Pigtails is creating a Kona quilt for the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild quilt show at the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival.

The instructions were to create a block using the Kona colour of your choice, spelling out the name of that colour.  I decided to use Torch, with Deep Blue as the background.



The original plan was to create the word using improv piecing, but I was having difficulty picturing how to make an R.  Then I found a link for making letters -- Temecula Quilt Company.


It was fun to make the letters.


I made the background a bit big in case Val has to trim it down to fit in the quilt.



This was a welcome and fun distraction from all the quilt tops waiting to be quilted.  It's back to the WIP list tomorrow.  One is already on the frame.  Two are waiting in line.  I need to get backings organized for two more.  Oh my...I have a lot of quilting to do.



11 comments:

  1. What a fun project. I love the bold colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squee! Looks great Anja! Thanks for helping me out!
    Hoping the WeeWiggler behaves himself for your upcoming quilt-a-thon... Let the bonding begin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squee! Looks great Anja! Thanks for helping me out!
    Hoping the WeeWiggler behaves himself for your upcoming quilt-a-thon... Let the bonding begin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squee! Looks great Anja! Thanks for helping me out!
    Hoping the WeeWiggler behaves himself for your upcoming quilt-a-thon... Let the bonding begin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Colours look awesome and those letters are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I can't wait to see some finishes....including my WIPs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep thinking about what colour to do... decisions, decisions! I can't help but note that School Bus is a bit longer in letters than Torch. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Love that button! Too true for my sewing space. What a nifty idea! Our guild is doing an orphan block exchange and when I asked last night what exactly is going to happen with the orphan blocks we bring in, the gal said, 'uh yeah, I was thinking we should do a challenge of some sort...' ya think?! Otherwise someone else's orphan blocks will end up being orphans in a new house...would they then be foster blocks?! lol and ;-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.