Wednesday, July 8, 2015

WIP Wednesday - Mystery Madness

As if I didn't have enough WIP's and wish-list quilts I want to make, I jumped on the mystery quilt bandwagon.  Cheryl over at Meadow Mist Designs is hosting a mystery QAL -- the Midnight Mystery Quilt.

Fabric selection started in June.  I managed to pull three prints from my stash and only had to purchase one fabric -- the green print.


 July is cutting month.  All cut and ready to start sewing in August.


It's not too late to join in on the fun.



Cheryl provided some advice after I sent her a panicked e-mail.  There is an option to see the finished pattern if you don't do mystery very well.  Do I deal with the stress of the mystery and hope I made good fabric choices?  Or do I "cheat" and see the finished pattern?  I decided to move outside of my comfort zone and go for the mystery.

Cheryl said Fabrics A and B need to play well together, as well as Fabrics B and C, and Fabrics C and D.  I'm intrigued that Fabrics A and D won't be touching.

Fabric A is Kona Snow, B is orange, C is green, and D is blue.

Fabric B

Fabric C

Fabric D

If you have a WIP this week, you should also link up with:

Sew Fresh Quilts         




13 comments:

  1. Cool that you went out of your comfort zone! I did that last year too for a mystery quilt and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing this QAL too and also haven't seen the finished quilt! It's quite exciting! I've not done my cutting yet though, this weekends job I think! Love your fabric colours. :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I could do the Mystery part...scary!! Stepping out of your comfort zone it hard to do, but you did it! I can't wait to see where this quilt is going! I know you will keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Jayne on this one.... I would be too curious! But I also certainly trust Cheryl's talent in quilt design. This is going to be an awesome quilt. Love your fabric choices, Anja!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your color choices - one of my favorite combos. I'm sitting this QAL out, so I can't wait to see what develops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your fabrics. I'm doing this one too. THe first mystery quilt I've done as I'm a complete control freak and this will be so far out of my comfort zone

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these fabrics, they are going to look awesome in the design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really lovely fabric choices Anja - I love your color combo and that you have included your beloved orange! I can identify with your anxiety... I'm one of those who preferred to see the finished pattern. It isn't any easier to choose your fabrics after seeing it though. Thought that might help you to know. There are just too many great fabrics out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mystery is half the fun :) BOM from Fat Quarter Shop was my favourite because all the blocks were a mystery :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colours... have fun! Thanks for posting to TN&TN's WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited you will be joining along. I think your fabric choices look great, and I am excited to see how all the different fabrics read in the same pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my. I've never done a mystery quilt. I think it's on the list of 100 quilty things to do before you die. Not this year, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.