Saturday, October 24, 2015

Late Night Friday Finish

October started out great:  I was on top of projects (more or less), and I was sewing every day.  And then...my sewjo disappeared, and there was not much sewing going on.  Not sure if it was the change in weather, or perhaps that it's dark by 6:00 p.m.  I am not looking forward to the time change in a few weeks.

Here's a baby quilt using Elizabeth Hartman's Solar Eclipse.  I took a vacation day yesterday to sew, but I was not as productive as I had hoped.  But I think I got my sewjo back and then ended up sewing until midnight last night to finish this quilt.


This is a great pattern (with three different sizes), but there's too much fiddly sewing of angled seams for my liking.  The quilt finishes at 32 x 32 inches, but it took six hours to piece -- and that's not including the time spent cutting the fabric and marking the angled seams.


I thought about  quilting in the white to make the colours pop, but then there would have been too much space unquilted.  And because I just wanted it finished, I didn't put any more thought into it and just stippled all over.


I used some Kona that I had my in my stash:

  • Top Left Block - Bahama Blue, Capri, Lagoon, Cyan
  • Top Right Block - Pansy, Mulberry, Bright Peri, Purple
  • Bottom Left Block - Chartreuse, Kiwi, Kale, Emerald
  • Bottom Right Block - Papaya, Torch, Tangerine, Flame
  • Background - White




Linking up with:

TGIFF hosted by Jenn  @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge


Finish it up Friday hosted by Crazy Mom Quilts


                    A Quilted Passion


19 comments:

  1. I think it is a beautiful finish, and I am glad to hear you found your sewjo again. You must have a great stash of solids because those are great groupings for each quadrant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! Love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anja that is just a fab fab FABulous quilt! I sure know what you mean about the darkening days... I don't do well without sunlight warming my face. I can see that this would be time-consuming but I personally think it is SO worth the effort. Great finish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a link-up-a-holic! LOL I had no idea you were working on an Elizabeth Hartman pattern. I am so out of the loop. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for getting your sewjo back! Such a gorgeous pattern, I love the colors you chose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The final result is so worth the time spent. Just aweseome! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely pattern, and your use of Konas is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks beautiful! Really love the effect! And your stipple quilting looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finish! It really turned out nicely and I love the texture the quilting added.

    ReplyDelete
  10. IT's great. Definitely worth the hassle of those angles xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate when my sewjo disappears, but I'm glad you found yours again. I love all the bright solids you used on this one. You make me think I might be missing out by not having more solids in my stash. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Anja, it's just beautiful! I wish I was as productive when I lose MY sewjo! Your quilting looks great..perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt you have made! I love that the colours around the edges change, it fits the colourful blocks. And your quilting is so nice and even :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you got your sewjo back. The thought of losing one's sewjo sounds devastating! What a truly fabulous finish. I totally envy your stipple. It's the fmq I want to do the most and the one I'm the worst at!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always, I love your colour choices. I'm glad your sewjo is back. Sometimes it goes on vacation and you just have to wait for it to return.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how this turned out thought it was a lot of work for a small quilt I think it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is stunning! Love the fabrics and your excellent stippling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this Anja! I have been thinking about this pattern so I am glad to hear your feedback on it. I have been loving EH patterns but they are a lot of commitment! the cutting alone...phew!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's so much great color in this quilt. I surfed in from your I love Kona page. How fun to keep an inventory of the colors you have used. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.