Friday, March 29, 2019

Vintage Reimagined - Lone Star

Note:  All products in this post were given to me by Island Batik as part of their Ambassador program.

My second challenge as a 2019 Island Batik Ambassador was not stressful like the first challenge; however, I did delay making a decision on what to make.  The monthly theme is:  Vintage Reimagined -- vintage quilts inspiring new creations (36-inch square or larger).

I had more or less decided to make a Lone Star/Star of Bethlehem.  I like working with solid fabrics, so Amish quilts intrigue me.  But I second guessed my choice for a week or two.  As I Googled some potential patterns, I remembered a pattern that I wanted to try.  So I headed to the blog, hoping there were some directions.  It was my lucky day -- not only was there a tutorial, there was a chart giving various quilt sizes.  Score!!


Even better, Vasudha @ Storied Quilts (another Island Batik Ambassador) granted me permission to use the tutorial and she even helped me with colour placement.


I used these eight Basics, along with Black for the background:


These were great fabrics to work with.


Only two 2.5-inch strips were needed from each of the eight colours to make this 40-inch quilt.  In keeping with the theme, I pieced my strip sets with my Singer Featherweight.


Last Saturday night, I stayed up until 1:45 a.m. to piece all the star points because I wanted to see the awesome spiral that Vasudha's pattern makes.  😫


I love the star that forms in the centre.  Look at the amazing colours and prints.


I used Hobbs Premium 80/20 Black batting.  And I used my Clover chaco-liner (grey) to mark my quilting lines.


Simple straight-line quilting using Aurifil thread #4150 Creme Brule.  It's a great variegated thread.


I would definitely use Vasudha's tutorial to make another spiral Lone Star.


Now to finalize my plans for my April project.


I struggle with naming my quilts.  I haven't yet been able to come up with a suitable name for this quilt.  I'm open to any suggestions you may have.



Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday @ Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict 
Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hands Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation
Brag About Your Beauties @ From Bolt to Beauty
Show Off Saturday @ Sew Can She


14 comments:

  1. Anja, this is beautiful! All that hemming and hawing paid off in the end with a gorgeous finish. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing quilt, Anja! A star like this one is on my bucket list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous spiral lone star quilt. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so WOW! Love the colors with the black.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt. I love the spiral!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your star, the spiral grabs our attention! The batiks look great, and look like fun to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just beautiful, Anja, and your piecing is perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Anja, this is just beautiful! I’m sure Island Batik's is very pleased and proud to have chosen you as an ambassador this year. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anja,
    Thank you for using my tutorial. Love the way this turned out. I like how your quilted it too.
    Vasudha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the spiraling effect that was created in the piecing. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing - love how the colors spiral!! You make a great ambassador!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This looks great! I love the spiral and the colors are luscious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.